Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sharp decline in Rabbit numbers
Has anyone else noticed the sharp decline of rabbit numbers in their area. I have a few places here where I usually see plenty of rabbits. This year hardly any at all, I know predator numbers are on the up, but there must be something else causing the decline.
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
Yes, now you mention it - far fewer rabbits it the fields opposite my house. An obvious decrease in the amount of babies that my whippet has presented to me on walks - in fact (praise the lord) ...none so far this year. But, you are right, it does make me wonder where they are or what has happened to them.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

(27-06-2019, 03:02 PM)april Wrote: Yes, now you mention it - far fewer rabbits it the fields opposite my house.  An obvious decrease in the amount of babies that my whippet has presented to me on walks - in fact (praise the lord) ...none so far this year.  But, you are right, it does make me wonder where they are or what has happened to them.

It seems there's a virus that is killing so many, pet rabbits too. I found this about it today.  Sad
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
I just said the other day to DD that we seem to be overrun with rabbits! Because we are up fairly early before much traffic I have to be careful going round corners to see all the rabbits scattering. I've never seen so many. Although some population control might be good, let's hope that the virus doesn't reach us or family pets Sad Poor bunnies....
They must have all come to see you SF.   I haven't seen a rabbit anywhere here for a good 5/6 years.  One thing I have seen for the first time here this year, are a few hares.  Another animal that has suddenly made an appearance are pine martens.
COCKADOODLEDOO

De-stress with Poultry - and have the patience of a Broody

++++++++++++++++

I can't imagine not seeing any rabbits CDD. Think we could do without the pine martens though for the girls safety - or is it mink I am thinking of?
I think as well as the rabbit viral haemorhagic disease there is a resurgence of myxomatosis in some areas.
Our butcher occasionally has locally shot rabbit, but I haven't seen it in for a while.
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.