Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spinning and weaving wool
Do any of you spin and/or weave? I am going for my first lesson in a couple of weeks.
Today is the First Day of the rest of our lives.
No - used to knit but hated everything I ever made.  Good Luck with your new hobby.  We will be waiting to see a major adoption of ex-bats all wearing some rather nicely weaved jumpers next winter.  (Is that the sort of thing you make weaving ????)

I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

Good idea April. Ummm. .Do you think they might find wool itchy? Pink with little furry hoods? Or maybe a nice tweed? I can just imagine them strutting round the run complaining that blue is sooo not my colour, or red clashes with my eyes......

I love crochet, like knitting but am on my second crochet blanket, this one in waffle stitch and lots of colour. So I have this idea to learn how to take my hobby from fleece to yarn to the finished item, whatever it may be. Weaving is something I haven't tried yet but it will be another new experience which cannot be bad. I remember my Gran also trying to teach me tatting when I was titchy, but could never get the hang of it so fancy trying to learn that as well. Good old YouTube.
never did although we used to have some lovely coloured fleeces from our Shetland sheep.

Used to knit years ago,  seem to remember knitting OH and me a jumper when we went skiing.  

It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
There used to be lots of sheep around here,nothing to find them wandering up the main road, the odd car that may have been about would patiently follow behind, or maybe not so patiently. My friends Dad was the shepherd so we spent lots of time with them, it would be us children's job to help with feeding the lambs that needed a bottle. Great when they were tiny , horrible when they grew a bit and nearly trampled our toes and knocked us over. Bearing in mind that we were only little ourselves. Herds of cows here too until recent years. I really miss the the sounds of the cattle and sheep. We are mainly agricultural now, acres of rape, peas, oats etc. and housing estates on many of the fields that surrounded us. Hundreds of townies have moved here with the London overspill. We locals are a rare breed too now.
I did a little bit of weaving when at high school.We made a scarf.Thats the only experience i have,many moons ago now.

Good for you for having a go,hope you enjoy it.

What is tatting?

Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
K9 it is making a type of lace using crochet cotton and a small bobbin which, if I remember rightly, you thread through loops of cotton. I was good at tying the work in knots...
Quote:K9 it is making a type of lace using crochet cotton and a small bobbin which, if I remember rightly, you thread through loops of cotton. I was good at tying the work in knots...
Am i right in thinking thats how my great grandmother made lace doillies for putting houseplants or ornaments on.I remember her doing something with a bobbin thingy when i was very small.My mum still has many of her doillies still in use.
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
My Gran used to use it for Lacey things like butterflies and cuffs. She was born in the 1880s and trained when she was young as a court dressmaker in Victoria's reign, so those sort of things would have decorated their gowns. Not sure about little mats, they were and still are often made using a small crochet hook, but could well have been tatted.
Quote:Am i right in thinking thats how my great grandmother made lace doillies for putting houseplants or ornaments on.I remember her doing something with a bobbin thingy when i was very small.My mum still has many of her doillies still in use.

I remember my mum had lots of doilies for her dressing table and for putting plants on too such as these
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
Just wish my eyesight was sharp enough to even attempt one of those. Have had fun trying to read the text and still not sure what it said (imagine smiley). Really excited about the spinning course though, will keep you updated...