Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goose question
Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question, but do you need to keep a gander when keeping geese?

I have a large grassed orchard area and was thinking of having three or four small breed geese, but don't want to have goslings.

Is this possible or is it considered unkind.

Also what would be the best breed for a novice to keep.

Thanks!
No you dont need a gander,just as you dont need a cockeral with hens.

Ive kept the odd goose over the years and found them really easy to keep.Mine were various crossbred types.A friend of mine did keep chinese geese for a while, they were very sweet,gentle birds and not overly large either.

I dont think it matters what you have really,they all require the same amount of husbandry.Size be a deciding factor as some breeds are very big.If i were you i would have a good look at as many breeds as you can.Maybe go to some poultry shows this year to have a look.

Ive fancied having some American Buffs for quite a while now...dont tell MrK9!! :tongue_smilie:

Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
Thank you for your reply K9, I will definitely do more research, but its good to know I dont need to have a gander.

There doesnt seem to be as much info about keeping geese as chickens, guess they arent as popular and have a bit of a reputation as being agressive, but I think they are beautiful birds, I have kept chickens for a few years now and fancy a new challenge!

Thanks again, good luck convincing Mr K9 about the buffs!
Love geese, such characters. When I used to visit a friend who had a small holding in Normandie I used to have to carry a broom around with me because the little so and sos loved attacking me. Her cockerels were as bad. Guess French geese are more bolshy than well behaved English ones.hehe......
Today is the First Day of the rest of our lives.
They make good guards  Confusedmile:

CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
There used to be one at the livery yard where I kept a pony years ago.   It used to come and sit on our feet while we were grooming and if we moved it attacked us!!    We were all terrified of it.................................. laugh

It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
Eggpegg - I have a bone to pick with you (nothing to do with geese) but just noticed you live in Kent.  How come then you have never joined the Southern Chucklers for one of our get-togethers ???  Will expect to see you sometime in 2015 at some such shindig.  Oh, and I have a Whippet !

I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

Oooh, didnt know about shindigs!

Arent Whippets just the best dogs?!
Our Christmas shindig was excellent.  All and sundry are welcome (including OH's) so keep an eye out for the next get together.  Lovely, mental Teazle usually has a BBQ in the Summer - a very select gathering with fine food !!

As for Whippets...............!!  Gorgeous but couldn't eat two of them.  Mine is a right bossy madam but then she is excused as she has to put up with a Rottweiler and a Gordon Setter.  She'd be near perfect if she didn't get me up in the night to cover her back over with her duvet laugh

I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

You are not alone in your whippet covering duties, its a full time job with three of the little lovelies!
Oi April, not so much of the mental........... :answerme .................................        we will definitely be having a bbq this year come rain, wind, snow or whatever it throws at us.    

Eggpeg looking forward to meeting you.         

It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
I'm free that day :thumbup: