Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A good chicken curry
Ok my lovely friends.I love curry.I cant afford to buy take outs,so im looking for a really good chicken curry recipe that i can do at home,thats tastes amazing and doesnt cost the earth.

If i was buying at a take out,id buy... a chicken tikka balti,so i like a tomatoey,peppery,chilli,pepper based type sauce.MEDIUM heat.

If you have any really great,tried and tested,recipes,please add them for me to try.Thankyou xxx

Wardfluke, get yourself a copy of the Harcombe Diet for Men - Recipe Book (Amazon is best).  Forget the fact that it's a diet cook book.  The Curry base recipe is brilliant and can then be adapted to really tasty and healthy curries (all in the same recipe book).  I'm doing the Rogan Josh this week (using Turkey).......very yummy.

I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

April thankyou! i shall certainly a look!

come on you lot,i cant believe non of you eat curry...how do you cook it?

I love Jamie's pukka yellow curry. Generally I go for tomato bases which this isn't, but it's cheap to make, really easy and goes down well with my lot. I got it free in a newspaper recipe card thing. Tried to google the recipe for you last night but couldn't find it. Meant to type it up today send forgot - sorry! Will put it on here shortly x
Quote:I love Jamie's pukka yellow curry. Generally I go for tomato bases which this isn't, but it's cheap to make, really easy and goes down well with my lot. I got it free in a newspaper recipe card thing. Tried to google the recipe for you last night but couldn't find it. Meant to type it up today send forgot - sorry! Will put it on here shortly x
lol lass! thankyou,love it when you get time x
Ok a bit of a cheat on my part bit it isn't a bad curry.

1 medium sized onion finely chopped 

2 mushrooms finely chopped [optional ]

Good pinch of dried garlic 

Black pepper 

Fry in butter until onions soften  place in oven proof dish

Dice and fry chicken until sealed place in oven proof dish with onion etc.

Here's my cheat add a jar of Uncle Ben's Chicken Indian Tikka Masala and stick it in the oven gas mark 5 for 45 minutes. 

In fairness taste better than some take away's I've tried. It is more tomato based than most and tends to be a mild curry which suits those that can't take the heat.  Confusedmile:

CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
Ok, here's Jamie Oliver's "Pukka Yellow Curry"

Serves 4, Total time 1 hour 15 minutes, 622 calories per portion

2 onions

4 cloves garlic

1 thumb-sized piece of ginger

2 yellow peppers

1 chicken stock cube

1-2 fresh red chillies

1/2 bunch fresh coriander (15g)

1 tsp runny honey

1 level tsp ground turmeric

2 tsp curry powder

8 chicken drumsticks

Olive oil

1 x 400g tin chickpeas

1 tsp tomato puree

1 mug (320g) basmati rice

1 lemon

optional: fat-free natural yoghurt, to serve

Peel onions, garlic and ginger and deseed peppers.  Put 1 onion, 1 pepper, the garlic and ginger into a food processor.  Crumble in the stock cube and add the chilli, coriander stalks, honey and spices.  Blitz to a paste.

Place a large casserole pan on a medium-high heat and fry the chicken drumsticks (remove skin first if you prefer) with a splash of oil for 10 mins, turning occasionally.  Remove the chicken to a plate.  Leave pan on heat.  Roughly chop the remaining onion and pepper and add to the pan to cook for a few minutes.  Tip in the paste and let it cook for about 5 mins.  Pour in 500ml boiling water.  Drain the chickenpeas and add, along with tomato puree and a pinch of salt and pepper, stir well.  Return the chicken to the pan, pop the lid on, reduce the heat and simmer gently for approx 45 mins, or until the sauce darkens and thickens.

With 15 mins to go, put 1 mug of rice and 2 mugs of boiling water into a pan with a pinch of salt.  Simmer with the lid on for 12 mins or until all the liquid has been absorbed.  

Serve the curry in the middle of the table with a few dollops of yoghurt (if using) and a scattering of coriander leaves, with lemon wedges for squeezing over and the fluffy rice on the side.

I use pataks curry pastes choose your fave and follow instructions on jar, korma is our fave not too hot and can be used to make coronation chicken too. :-)
Thankyou Zenith,Lass and goldilocks...a few for me to explore.I dont mind a cheat jar (often ends up cheaper than the ingredients anyway) as long as they are nice sauces.I found an really yummy one from the cornish curry company,but am having trouble sourcing the sauces now! i shall have fun trying new tastes!

Hudas makes some very nice curry sauces with recipes for you to follow.

If you havent made curry before go steady with the spices as you can always add more later on.Im not keen on cloves so i only put in half what the recipe says.Its trial and error at first but well worth the effort.Much better than shop bought or take aways.

Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9