Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aaaaargh - need a rant!
Wanting to knit a sweater for my son, I fished out a pattern I thought would suit - nope, it's a double knit hand knit. (I wanted to do this on the knitting machine) So searched some more and found a mk one. Fine so far (you'll have to try and keep up folks! [Image: 283a16da79f3aa23fe1025c96295f04f.gif] )

Did my tension swatch using the garter carriage for the seed stitch (moss stitch) I wanted to use - perfect. Set the garter carriage up to cast on my stitches required, but it didn't want to play ball, so ewrapped the needles - all 110 of them Then found I hadn't put on the cast on comb. Pulled it out, placed the comb and ewrapped the stitches again. Used the kc and did the first row - but writing it down something seemed off, so went back and double checked the pattern. 

The number of stitches I had used was the cm size of the sweater and not the cast on stitches! [Image: 283a16da79f3aa23fe1025c96295f04f.gif] I don't know how. But much heaving, sighing and muttering later I pulled it out AGAIN, and put the correct number of stitches on. Right - all working perfectly, (you still keeping up?) Set the garter carriage going, it worked it's first row perfectly, got to the end of the row and started on it's way back. Great, I thought, and went to go down stairs.

Now those of you who have, or have heard a garter carriage working, know that there is a particular rythym when it is actually knitting - and something sounded strange as I turned my back. I listened for a moment and then went and had a look.

The stupid thing had decided to knit the first ten stitches of the 2nd row and then reverse itself and go backwards, turned around and did the same 10 stitches! (yes I did sort out what was happening, the little 'thingy' underneath was catching on the wrong place, and telling it to go the other way.)

Aaargh - but I hate it when things like this happen! Have given up for the moment, making myself something to eat, and then will go back upstairs and START AGAIN.

Flippin machines, they do my head in some days!

(phew feel better now! Should give some of you a smile if nothing else! )

You've only got one life - live it!
squizzers
I do hope your son appreciates your efforts  laugh .  Knitting and needlework are just about the only crafts I have no patience for so you have my admiration that you are even contemplating going up to sort it out.  I'd have thrown the machine out of the window long ago!
Big Grin Really made me smile Squizzers as I feel your frustration. It brought back memories as my Mother had a knitting machine many years ago now she had the patience of a Saint with it but I'm sure I heard her curse a few times too.

I remember sitting there arms held apart with hanks?  :001_unsure: of wool whilst she used the wool winder for it 

CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
Quote: Big Grin Really made me smile Squizzers as I feel your frustration. It brought back memories as my Mother had a knitting machine many years ago now she had the patience of a Saint with it but I'm sure I heard her curse a few times too.

I remember sitting there arms held apart with hanks?  :001_unsure: of wool whilst she used the wool winder for it 

Well as you've had instruction as to how to hold hanks want to come and hold mine? :hysterical 

Yes it is frustrating, and I think the answer is I really need to strip (and I mean really strip) and clean the garter carriage. It's an old one and looks pretty grubby. I've ordered the food grade silicon lubricant that I need, but that won't be here until after Christmas. Also need to do the ribber I think. Ah well - will go and find another pattern and try again!
squizzers
I will confess it is a foreign language to me, suspect I would have chucked the machine out of the window!

Quote: Big Grin Really made me smile Squizzers as I feel your frustration. It brought back memories as my Mother had a knitting machine many years ago now she had the patience of a Saint with it but I'm sure I heard her curse a few times too.

Oh the hours ive spent holding up hanks for mother.I dreaded seeing her reach for the knitting box.

We could be there for ages and wobetide if your arms drooped!! Confusedcared:

Hope you get it sorted Squizz.
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
Lot easier to buy socks ..... :hysterical
ntg

Warwickshire

The view is much better from the naughty step ... Cool
Yes, my childhood was blighted by the dreaded hanks too. My mum had a knitting machine but it had weights which kept falling off and bruising her legs. I seem to remember that she had to work the thing by hand, pushing the handle thing backwards and forwards. Think she dumped it in the end....good luck Squizzersxx
Today is the First Day of the rest of our lives.
Hate it when technology does its own thing. Good on you for going back and trying again.
Any luck Squizzers?

Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
Good grief Squizzers,  you have given me a headache :w00t:         It really is aa foreign language.   Can cope with knitting needles but not that machine stuff.   Hope you get it sorted whatever it is.  :wacko: 

It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
I bought a knitting machine many moons ago but it looked FAR too complicated to me and it lived in attic for many years. Gave it away in the end. Will stick to normal knitting needles....

Hope the jumper turns out well in the end! Confusedmile:

Nah  - no luck with it! So have put it away until after Christmas. Will strip and clean the Garter Carriage then and see what I can do! 

On a lighter note, have made some lovely infinity scarfs! My daughter is well chuffed with hers!  :thumbup:

squizzers
What is an infinity scarf?

A scarf that has no end k9 - in otherwords it's ends are joined, it's very long and you twist it in the middle and pop it over your head. One loop keeps your neck warm and the rest hangs down in a fashionable way. Some of them are really lovely (I'm still learning! )

squizzers