Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oiling Tool Handles
Does anyone know of any reason why it might be a daft idea to oil tool handles with good old sunflower oil?

I suspect it will break down and go sticky and rancid. Can you not get linseed oil there? I would have thought that new engine oil would be a better deal, but I'm not sure on that. I'm sure that others will be along with good advice soon.

You've only got one life - live it!
squizzers
never tried it.As Squizz said i think linseed would be better if you can get it.
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
I can't see a problem as I use cooking oil on a wooden kitchen spoon that my eldest daughter made in woodwork class 20 + yrs ago.

CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
never thought about doing it,   but worth a try.   

It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
Vegetable oill does break down and goes stick, linseed oil is the best to use.  For blades on spades etc a bucket of sharp sand with old engine oil is the way to go ...

ntg

Warwickshire

The view is much better from the naughty step ... Cool
I will use google translate for linseed oil and see if I can make some shop assistants laugh  oh my

Or tung oil

Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
Umm, English please.......

Quote:Or tung oil
Its another oil often used in wood finishing, often with other ingredients to make it harden quicker. A major ingredient of "danish oil", Google search should throw up details for you.

Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
Thank you Sutty!