Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life is a Gas
Quote: Confusedcared: I do hope Mrs G never gets on here or you will be for it.!

I think we should invite her  Big Grin
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
Zenith,which food exactly is your dog eating?

I have to say im not a fan of RC food,or any other vet food for that matter and have had lots of issues in the past with dog food.If i can help at all,im happy to do so.

Quote:Zenith,which food exactly is your dog eating?

I have to say im not a fan of RC food,or any other vet food for that matter and have had lots of issues in the past with dog food.If i can help at all,im happy to do so.
She has been on Beta Puppy we changed this to Bakers Puppy but had early issues with both.Then on advice on here we put her on Burns Puppy which worked well solving looseness.but still gassy 

Then she went Royal canin after spaying and is on Royal canin small dog all complete feeds .
Quote:She has been on Beta Puppy we changed this to Bakers Puppy but had early issues with both.Then on advice on here we put her on Burns Puppy which worked well solving looseness.but still gassy 

Then she went Royal canin after spaying and is on Royal canin small dog all complete feeds .
Most complete foods, these days ,are not what they used to be.Have a look at the ingrediants list and see whats first in the list. 

I used to be a huge fan of R.C. and J.W. and Burns but even they are now full of fillers..wheat,maize, rice etc. over the years the meat content has decreased and the fillers increased.Many years ago my show team were fed R.C. and did very well on it.Like the others its now mainly cereal based.When i first got my Patties and Gypsy had so many skin problems i  really started to look at what i was feeding.

If they were in the wild they would not,by choice,eat wheat,rice,maize,oats etc.They would eat meat.They would eat a little grain if they ate the stomach of the animal they killed. 

Food like Bakers is full of Enumbers,hence the bright colours,colours mean nothing to a dog,its smell first then the taste.E numbers can send dogs wappy just like children on coloured pop.

Dont be fooled by vets either..they are paid by the big companies like R.C. and Hills Science to sell their products,My vet is a Hills Science vet.His waiting room is surrounded by their food in shiney packaging with all sorts of waffle on the front that they hope joe blogs wont understand and they charge the earth for it!!

When on complete my dogs walked to their bowls,looked at it,looked at me..nothing else offered so they ate it.Now on raw i have trouble walking a straight line to get the dogs to their feeding places as they are literally bouncing with excitement for their brekky/dinner.

Do you get the impression im all for raw feeding dogs... laugh As i said before,i took my eye off the ball thinking that feed companies had our beloved dogs and cats first in their thoughts,not any more in my view..profits first.Cheapest ingrediants first in the list!! 
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
There are, as well ,excellent tins/trays wet food.Not everyone is happy with raw feeding.I do sometimes feed tins/trays as i do sometimes forget to get the meat out of the freezer and if im away Mrk9 never remembers to get the meat out so i leave tins /trays out.

Good ones are Butchers..tripe loaf, Wainrights tins/trays(pets at home) fishmongers(pets at home)Rocco,lukullus,applaws, Lilys kitchen to name a few.

I feed with a holistic biscuit meal for added crunch! laugh

good complete diets..applaws,lilys kitchen,wainwrights,fishmongers, fish 4 dogs.There is an index for complete foods.I'll have alook for it and post in here.

Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
The natch won't look at things like the complete foods with moist meaty chunks... She'd rather lick her own bottom .... Mind you I think she enjoys that anyway !

She has either pedigree mixer or ASDA mixer and weebox which she seems to enjoy and her beloved dentastick for brekkers ... A dog of simple taste...
ntg

Warwickshire

The view is much better from the naughty step ... Cool
Haha K9 you said most of what i was going to say!!

I think alot of it is to do with the budget also,not everyone can afford atop quality food.But you can manage on a medium /good food with a little tweeking!

I wouldnt touch Bakers.Hills,roal canin.JWB etc (although that is everyones personal choice).

Having been through alot of dietry issues with my dog,i would first advice not to just change to any old food.Change should be taken seriously and over a period of a few days.Do your research first .What suits one dog may not suit another and although there is alot of info online,some people are still unaware of how the dog food world works and what is actually in the food etc,Noone should be judged on the food they give their dogs  but they could be a little more educated.

My dogs did better on a rice based food rather than a wheat based food.Alot of dogs bred today cannot initially tolerate a high meat protein food like applaws/raw/canican or dry foods made from only meat but i do believe a good old marrow bone is good for most dogs!

The dry dog food market is a nightmare,and as i say ,it can depend on both your dog and your budget.But try and avoid anything with additives,wheats/cereals and stuff.try and go for something with a high meat content (first or second on the ingredients list).

The cereals in a food can cause wind in a dog,as can the protein levels (these can also cause high energy levels in a dog!) If our dog is poorly,we often go for chicken and rice or fish and rice,and this helps our dogs tummy settle.This is possibly due to there not being many ingredients to complicate the tum! Try and go for a food with few ingredients,this too simplifies things!

My dogs have tried many many foods(yep even the top dry food,and raw) and i have found that they thrive on skinners duck and rice,not the top food but it suits my dogs.

there is a site called

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog-food-index-a.html

it makes very interesting reading.There are also alot of other sources of info out there.

Thank you for all the information  Confusedmile: If this latest Bulldog feed doesn't work out I will be checking some more feed types out.

I know from when Kai was a pup that certain food don't agree with them he was on chicken & rice diet for quite some time.

Strangely enough he does well on Bakers now  he's so laid back I don't think the E numbers affect him.

With Heidi budget isn't an issue really it's finding something that suits and with a lot less odour produced 

W.F. Skinners duck and rice is one of the better middle range foods,I had the Bernese on that a while ago.

Have you tried the salmon one? that is also very good.

Another site to look at..www.whichdogfood.co.uk

K9,iv did try mine on the salmon one,and generally they were good on it but my goldie smelt of fish when on a fish food!! not so pleasant lol.but i know many others that use it and have great results too.

Every dog is just so different.And whilst i understand that those in the know about the dog food insides and outs would love us all to be using the best quality foods,some dogs just dont get on with them :wacko: .It really is about finding whats right for your own dog.lifestyle and pocket.

Mine love a good old raw marrow bone though,i dont see many people giving dogs bones these days.

I get huge marrow bones from my local butcher,the terriers get first dibs and then the Bernese finish them off.

All have lovely pearly white gnashers that all the toothpaste companies would be proud of. laugh

How strange that your goldie smelt of fish,ive never noticed that in any of mine.I know many dogs do not tolerate raw fish very well,they eat it and then you are reaquainted with the fish sometime later usually on your carpet!! :w00t:

Ive never tried raw fish with mine as we only have a little fish van come to the village and his prices are ridiculous..£7-00 for one piece of cod,im not paying that for us never mind the dogs.I stick to tinned fish once/week.

I do feel sorry for new,first time dog owners that come to the shop.By the time we have gone through all the foods that we stock and then mention the many we dont stock but can order in,they have a very glazed look about them.When i mention the price of such foods as Hills and R.C they look like they are about to faint!!
well, I looked at that Website K9 and did a search for the Natch and I've never heard of any of the ones it suggested ... and Pedigree chum didn't figure anywhere ... I thought All top breeders used it if the adverts are to be believed Big Grin
ntg

Warwickshire

The view is much better from the naughty step ... Cool
It saddens me that the adverts saying that pedigree chum (and the like) sponsor programmes like the battersea dogs programme.People believe that all the big companies are selling them great dog foods,even the vets sell a load of rubbish.but sadly unless they get educated to do their research nothing will change. The sad thing is that food like Hills and Royal canine etc are very expensive but they are NO better than alot of the cheaper brands!! it is a minefield

K9,some humans also get that thing where they smell of fish after eating it.It is very odd but its ok,we can eat the duck.

As for you buying fish for your dogs,if you did want to,you could buy the frozen packs they do in sainsburys/tescos etc,theyre only about 2.00 for a bag,mind you ,you big dogs would eat a fair bit!

I do buy that fish on occaision W.F. but i do like the tinned fish in oil for them.Im very fortunate that all of mine seem to tolerate raw fish very well.

N.T.G...which foods did it suggest?
I've just recently changed my miniature bull terrier's diet for similar reasons to your little bull dog! It was a nightmare trying to find something decent for her. I have my other 2 on Skinners field and trial ( duck and rice) with no problems, but Bridget has an intolerance to duck and it makes her sick. She was on Fish for Puppy, so as she likes fish we went with Fishmongers Finest (Pets at Home) as it contains 60% salmon in the salmon and potato dry food. Her stools have been much smaller and firmer, her coat is shinier and her flatulence has stopped altogether   :thumbup1: