Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Step mixed fruit Jam wine
Top Step mixed fruit Jam wine

• 3lb mixed fruit Jam (I used Co-ops) (1.35Kg)
  • 9oz concentrated Rose' grape Juice (250g)
  • 1lb Sugar (450g)
  • 6pints Water (3.4ltr)
  • 3 tsp Citric Acid (15ml
  • 1/2 tsp Tannin
  • Pectic Enzyme (double dose)
  • Campden Tablets
  • Nutrient
  • Bordeaux Yeast
  1. Dissolve the Jam in warm water and when cool ad the pectic enzyme, acid and one crushed campden tablet. Cover and leave for 2 days.
  2. Stir in the grape juice, tannin, nutrient & Yeast. replace cover and ferment for two days.
  3. Strain the must through a fine mesh nylon bag, stir in the sugar and pour the must into sterilised Jar. Top up wit cold, boiled water if necessary, fit an airlock and ferment out.
  4. Rack the wine into sterilised jar containing one crushed campden tablet, top up, bung tight, label and store in a cold place untin the wine is bright.
  5. Syphon the clear wine into bottles and store for 6 months, sweetening it with 1 saccharin pellet per bottle. This is a light, pleasantly flavoured Rose' wine. serve it cold with picnic lunches or snadwich snacks.

note: Use jam with no added pectin or preservative.

From the Boots book of Home wine and beermaking by Ben Turner (1982)

ISBN 0 7234 0794 0

I don't remember if I dis it exactly as described as I got my stuff from local home brew shop rather than Boots.

If you use  Bramble Jelly or Blackcurrant you make a red wine and then you don't need to sweeten. Goosegog jam - white wine and then you can sweeten or not.

ntg

Warwickshire

The view is much better from the naughty step ... Cool
How do you know if a jam has added pectin or not?  blink  Thank you for putting up the recipe though! Am so, so tempted to give it a go. Still got a demijon here which would do the trick, my bubbler and everything!  :001_tt1:

You've only got one life - live it!
squizzers