Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Selling Eggs
Hi guys - just a quick couple of questions. I've been making some egg boxes as my OH sells them to a few friends at work for a £1 a box . They are in high demand Lol I've spent ages (I need to get a life!) designing the boxes (the box in the pic is a prototype - I don't normally name the eggs as thats half the fun and it has a typo on the lid :001_rolleyesSmileand included some info on the girls etc. Do you think £1 is an ok price as OH thought they should be 75p and can I call them free range? The girls are not kept in an enclosure?

p.s Love the new site!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I dont think you should go lower than £1.00!! there £1.65 in our post office. Box's look nice too.
our local, post office i think thats day light robbery!!
I sell mine at £1 for half dozen, boxes are not as nice as yours tho Smile
You can't call them free range unless you have been inspected by someone but no reason why you can't say running round loose in the garden causing havoc!!

I think 1.50 a box or £1 if they give you the box back
:thumbup1:I sell mine at £1 with box return. Box looks great.!
Thanks for the kind comments Guys - I thought I'd heard somewhere that you can't call them free range, although as you say Zoe free range doesn't do it justice based on the havoc they cause! Lol I'll call them 'Delicious Fresh Eggs' from now on. We only sell to people we know at the moment as we don't have that many girls but I'm desprate to get some more but I really need to get a bigger coop (garden shed conversion in planning!)

One chap offered OH £2 today and said to get some treats for the girls with the extra money which was really sweet but OH said no its ok £1 is plenty to pay, I think he's a bit self concious of the pink boxes too Lol
They look really good ...and posh! I'd change the 3 weeks to 4 weeks! Supermarket eggs are 4 weeks old before they even hit the shelves! I've started selling my eggs since the begining of this year. I charge £1 for 1/2 dozen but some of the neighbours have happily given me £2.50 for a dozen.... plus my son has taken 5 dozen into his office where they sold in 5 mins flat!!!! ..... he said they were like 'flies around .....!' I've got £21.00 in the egg jar now!!! Thinking about getting Battery Cages set up in the shed now!!! ....... kidding!! :lol:
Lovely, lovely boxes. I would pay £1 just for an empty box!
[quote name='urbansheepdog']They look really good ...and posh! I'd change the 3 weeks to 4 weeks! Supermarket eggs are 4 weeks old before they even hit the shelves! I've started selling my eggs since the begining of this year. I charge £1 for 1/2 dozen but some of the neighbours have happily given me £2.50 for a dozen.... plus my son has taken 5 dozen into his office where they sold in 5 mins flat!!!! ..... he said they were like 'flies around .....!' I've got £21.00 in the egg jar now!!! Thinking about getting Battery Cages set up in the shed now!!! ....... kidding!! :lol:[/QUOTE]

Sounds like yours are going like hot cakes! From the last week and a half I've got £3 in the egg jar (I gave one box away!) so early days yet but I think people are glad they are so fresh and and delivery is free to the office Lol. The other good thing is that it gets people talking about the eggs and how the hens are kept ect so hopefully they will think before buying any cheap battery hen eggs from the supermarket. Our 3 retired batts are lovely and although only 2 out of the 3 lay they all have personality. I am a hen bore!! Lol

I may need to get more girls to keep up with local demand Lol
Hi,

We charge £1.50 delivered in the village and £1.30 for collected eggs from work,

I love the idea of the hen pictures Smile

We label ours 'fresh eggs from hens fed non-GM feeds and free to roam'

Good luck with the egg selling, once people get to know you then you will need more hens Wink
They look fantastic! I charge 80p per box of 6 but they are going up to £1.00 now. In my local supermarkets battery eggs cost 80p for 6, a bit cheaper if you buy a really big box. How can you do them so cheap with such a nice box?

I ran out of recycled boxes last summer and told my friends and family I would have to charge 20p deposit to cover cost of new boxes......I'm now flooded with recycled boxes.
[quote name='Craychickens']They look fantastic! I charge 80p per box of 6 but they are going up to £1.00 now. In my local supermarkets battery eggs cost 80p for 6, a bit cheaper if you buy a really big box. How can you do them so cheap with such a nice box?

I ran out of recycled boxes last summer and told my friends and family I would have to charge 20p deposit to cover cost of new boxes......I'm now flooded with recycled boxes.[/QUOTE]

Well I'm not sure I'm making anything :blushing: but its a good excuse to keep chooks :lol: and to feed my egg collecting fettish Lol I'm also hoping once OH gets people bothering him for eggs he might be a bit keener to get more girls! I got the egg boxes from flyte so fancy, couldn't risist the pink ones..just need to get a dark brown egg layer and a blue egg layer next!!
I am not sure about having to get someone to inspect if you are to sell as free range. I think that applies if you have a flock that you have to have registered with DEFRA ie if you have 50 poultry or more, but I could be wrong about that. I did do some research about this cause I want to sell surplus eggs when i get my hens and want to sell them as Free Range. To meet the EU standards on Free Range then the minimum is that the flock has access to ground, the majority of which is covered by vegetation, and at least 10 sq metres/hen and I think you can have up to 9 hens/sq. metre for inside the hen house.

I tried to find out who would inspect but i drew a blank. I spoke to a guy from Trading Standards and he felt DEFRA were not interested as i would have a small flock but Trading Standards would only be involved if they had a complaint about a breach of the description. I think a lot of eggs sold as Free Range by some small producers are not Free Range, some of the chickens never get let out of a small dusty run.

However Free Range does mean something to a lot of people and your eggs could be more "free range" than many of the large "free range"commercial egg producers. As I intend to sell eggs through Country Markets I am going to ask the headquarters if they can give advice to egg producers as they have the people who can find out and interpret the various regualtions about this.
P.S. i am finding this thread very reassuring. I am planning to get 10 hens, after taking advice from the forum, and did wonder what i would do if I got snowed under with eggs that I could not sell. I was planning to sell at £1/ 1/2 dozen as that seems to be the going rate round here. I think 10 would be more interesting than just 5 There is only me, my wife and mother in law - we have an empty nest!

I hope I can sell the eggs as my wife persuaded me to buy a) a bigger hen house and b) a superior British made house than a cheap Chinese import. Hope for better luck than with the bees. So far they have eaten a lot of sugar but not produced much honey. But I have 4 well established colonies that were new last year. Fingers crossed for a good spring and summer.