Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Euthanise a crippled duck
I have one of my runners with a very bad leg, I have her corralled seperately in the hope it gets better, but looking at the worst scenario, how can I euthanise her?
If you do a search for "broomstick method" you will find one way.

If you do use this method don't be timid about the amount of weight you put on the broomstick - you don't want to pull the bird's head out from under it!

What is the problem with the leg?

Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
I guess either a very amorous drake, or when trying to escape from a drake she has stepped into a hole. It the aren't positioned properly when the drake mounts it can dislocate the hip. Broomstick method? No thanks will go to a vet 1st. Thanks for your interest tho.
Vet might be able to reduce a dislocation (put it back in joint), not sure though.
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
if you dont want to do it yourself then you have to find someone competant to do it for you

i.e. knowledgeable poultry keeper or a vet.

Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
I have to dispatch duck on the shoot. The most difficult bird I have to deal with - the neck is just so thick and strong. Personally I wouldn't be confident with the broomstick method on a duck.