Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Dark Brown Eggs
I was just reading another thread about Cream Legbars/blue eggs and would like to know what your opinion is regarding dark egg layers - the darker, the better!

I'm hoping to add a couple of such layers to my flock next year and am wondering what to go for. I've thought about French Wheaten Maran but have heard that they can be finicky layers.

I'm open to suggestions and I don't mind if the breed is not a prolific layer - it's just to add the finishing touch to my range of egg colours:p!

Many thanks.
Hi Copper Black Marans Lay a very dark egg, m girl lays one which looks like chocolate a lot of people dont bbelieve itd real because of its colour
We also have a copper black maran, who lays dark brown eggs... some a little speckledy, lays mostly 2 days on, one day off at the moment, but lays all through the year.
I got some copper black marans for their dark eggs. I purchased hatching eggs so I could see they came from dark eggs. The pullets have started to lay and they are dark but not dark as the ones they hatched from. Egg colour does change during the season though.
My Welsummer came into lay just before Christmas. I was a bit disappointed with her first egg as it was speckly rather than dark brown, but since then she has lad some beautiful dark brown eggs which make a lovely contrast in the egg basket. She tends to lay every other day which I think is common with dark egg layers as each egg takes longer to 'make'.
the eggs do get darker as the birds mature, I always go for her eggs first.
I have two Maran Cuivres (hybrids). Only one is laying at the moment and her eggs are fairly deep in colour but not dark. I'll probably give a Cooper Black Maran a try.

Thanks!
I have a miss pepperpot she lays very beautiful dark brown eggs most days. Stark contrast to my bluebelle who's eggs are so pale they are almost peach in colour.
What sort of temperment does the Black Copper Maran have? I thought Marans could be a bit bullyish? In saying that they look remarkably similar to my Bluebelles, who have a really good nature.
I too have a a bluebelle in with my black copper maran, who are the last two of my original flock. The maran is head honcho and doesn't hang back in nudging others out of the way (will be interesting to see if the cockerel ever gets brave enough). Saying that, she is really friendly with us and the bluebelle, although extremely placid with all of the other girls & boys, runs from us unless we've got handful of corn.

We do have a complete mix now in with her, cincluding little pekins, so she isn't too bad a bully, but she certainly wants to remain top dog and only really has sorted out any other hen that's big enough to be a threat. My 11 yr old stepson, carries her round the garden in all kinds of positions so really easy to handle.
[quote name='urbansheepdog']What sort of temperment does the Black Copper Maran have? I thought Marans could be a bit bullyish? In saying that they look remarkably similar to my Bluebelles, who have a really good nature.[/QUOTE]

I have 4 Maran hybrids (1 x Cou Cou, 1 x Bluebell and 2 x Cuivre) and all are fine - the oldest is the boss of the flock but she's not in the least vicious. The others are also okay. My meanest hen is the Sussex Ranger hybrid - she's quite a solitary girl and definitely likes her own space - esp with regard to food.

I would say the most placid are the Bluebell, Leghorn and the Cream Legbars.

The friendliest one whom I'm always tripping over, because SHE IS ALWAYS THERE!, is Berta - the Bovans Goldline.

Whatever their personality, each one adds something to the mix!:001_wub:
hens I have no problems with cockerals are a different story. I have had both brought in and hatched and they have been fiesty. others may say different. unless you want to show then you could have another cockereral my Hens are now with a barnvelder cockeral I now have the best of both world chocolate eggs with a friendly male
[quote name='baileyboys']hens I have no problems with cockerals are a different story. I have had both brought in and hatched and they have been fiesty. others may say different. unless you want to show then you could have another cockereral my Hens are now with a barnvelder cockeral I now have the best of both world chocolate eggs with a friendly male[/QUOTE]

I'm only brave enough to have a bantam cockeral (Dutch x Pekin)- and that was because he was for the chop!

I was told by an experienced keeper that you always have to approach a cockeral with love in mind ie talk sweet nothings, lips puckered ready to for a kiss etc!! Apparently this disarms the aggressive side - but, I'm not experienced enough to try it out yet!

My little fella is just right for meBlush
Wheaten Marans lay the darkest eggs of all the Marans.

French Marans can be a bit flighty but the eggs are well worth it.
[quote name='cuckoomad']Wheaten Marans lay the darkest eggs of all the Marans.

French Marans can be a bit flighty but the eggs are well worth it.[/QUOTE]

I thought copper black laid the darkest eggs of all the marans - doh! Oh well.....I will see what happens next year. I don't think mine are the French ones as they are almost clean legged....it is the French ones that have heavy leg feathering isn't it? They had feather legs as chicks but now almost clean legged. They are LF and not the slightest bit flighty. We hatched them with light sussex and nick named them squeeky sussex as the marans were very calm and didn't mind being handled compared to the sussex. They were all incubated and brooded etc together.

My marans run with vorwerk, old and young sussex, hybrids, a cochin and croads and a creab legbar cockerel. I have now moved my croads as they kept away from the others until they chose top hen spot when roosting at night.