Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Dark Brown Eggs
French Marans lay the darkest eggs , but they must be from a dark egg laying strain, the French breeders breed for egg colour only and not bird type , they would'nt mind if the hen had 3 legs if the egg colour was chocolate brown, thats also the main reason that they are not included in the poultry breed stds .

A good Welsummer strain will also lay a good dark egg.
[quote name='Yosemite Sam']French Marans lay the darkest eggs , but they must be from a dark egg laying strain, the French breeders breed for egg colour only and not bird type , they would'nt mind if the hen had 3 legs if the egg colour was chocolate brown, thats also the main reason that they are not included in the poultry breed stds .

A good Welsummer strain will also lay a good dark egg.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. That might be why they don't look true to type then. I was more interested in a hen I liked the colour and nature of that laid a dark egg than being a show chicken, egg colour was priority. I have seen the welsummer eggs and they look fab but they are flighty and I couldn't cope without being on stress pills. It has taken me two years to calm my vorwerks down and I gave my lakenvelders away to a friend as they were a bit flighty even though they had been handled a lot from hatching.
What have you decided to go for Lydia?
[quote name='Craychickens']What have you decided to go for Lydia?[/QUOTE]

Ideally one Copper and one Wheaten or even three! I wonder if I'll get lucky enough to get them together??

Also, I spoke to a nice lady of 'Freddie's Chooks'. She hatched five Copper Blacks from the 'darkest and largest eggs she's ever seen'. She has kept the two cockerals hoping to pass on the egg colour. I think I'll reserve a couple in the Spring. I've agreed to phone her in February to keep in touch.

However, if something comes along that's too hard to resist, I'm open to temptation - totally!:dancin
Is there a fertile eggs 'Pick 'n' Mix' shop anymore now that Woolies is shut down??? blink

Now wouldn't that be handy! Smile
I have always had lovely dark eggs from all my Marans but just last week a little pullet of mine started laying - she is an auto-sexed Light Sussex x Rhode Island Red. The eggs are the darkest I have ever had - proper chocolate brown and some with speckles which I love. The one she laid yesterday had bands of almost black speckles in perfect symetry. Very, plain jane, ginger hen but wow! spectacular eggs. Long may she continue !
[quote name='april']I have always had lovely dark eggs from all my Marans but just last week a little pullet of mine started laying - she is an auto-sexed Light Sussex x Rhode Island Red. The eggs are the darkest I have ever had - proper chocolate brown and some with speckles which I love. The one she laid yesterday had bands of almost black speckles in perfect symetry. Very, plain jane, ginger hen but wow! spectacular eggs. Long may she continue ![/QUOTE]

Hmmmmmmmm...very interesting...
[quote name='april']I have always had lovely dark eggs from all my Marans but just last week a little pullet of mine started laying - she is an auto-sexed Light Sussex x Rhode Island Red. The eggs are the darkest I have ever had - proper chocolate brown and some with speckles which I love. The one she laid yesterday had bands of almost black speckles in perfect symetry. Very, plain jane, ginger hen but wow! spectacular eggs. Long may she continue ![/QUOTE]

Light Sussex x Rhode Island Red would mean she's sexed linked and not Auto sexing.
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run