Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's been a while......
If you haven't got a huge infestation, then washing in Fairy liquid at least once a week, sprinkling diatom and smoothing diatom over all perch surfaces works really well.  The Harkamitex (supposed to be like the old duramitex, but better) seems to be working. Dead red mite in the houses tonight and these are the ones I thought were fairly clear!

Hi SS nice to see you. sorry bout your cockerel and the dreaded red mite!

you could try using a flame gun on your red mite ? the thing with any treatment is you have to keep repeating them as they reproduce at such a rate or you could buy some smoke bombs  there are a rang on the market check here http://www.homefarmfowls.co.uk/Health-We...d-mite-etc  Sorry to hear about your Rhodebar was he a large fowl or bantam ?
Hi Vorwerk, the Rhodebar boy was the one you gave me quite a few years ago, so large fowl and he was gorgeous Wink 

I've tried a blowtorch on the house, but you get covered in mites as soon as you go under the tree, so no-one is willing to spend more than a minute or two near the house :thumbdown:   I haven't tried any smoke bombs, but that might work as we could do a 'dash and run' laugh We have sprayed with many different insecticides over the last year, so I suspect we also have a resistance problem.

I wondered whether a bunch of insecticidal smokers would work for your tree problem - you would need a completely windless day, and it might still disperse too quick.

You are sure they are redmite in the tree not something else? seems strange it can support so many!

Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
Hi Sutty, yes, we're sure they're red mite in the tree.  They land in your hair and drive you mad itching within seconds. Then you find them on your face and arms..... Confusedcared: The branches of the conifer come down to the roof of the house, plus the hens and pigeons have roosted in the conifers.  We have been advised by one 'expert' to burn the house in situ and hopefully 'smoke out' any mite in the tree. The trees are old and about 30ft (at least).  If they were smaller then a smoke bomb might work in the tree.  I'm hoping the mites will eventually die off if we keep chickens out of the area for at least a year.  In the meantime, I'll need to keep the other houses mite free.

Quote:Hi Sutty, yes, we're sure they're red mite in the tree.  They land in your hair and drive you mad itching within seconds. Then you find them on your face and arms..... Confusedcared: The branches of the conifer come down to the roof of the house, plus the hens and pigeons have roosted in the conifers.  We have been advised by one 'expert' to burn the house in situ
and hopefully 'smoke out' any mite in the tree. The trees are old and about 30ft (at least).  If they were smaller then a smoke bomb might work in the tree.  I'm hoping the mites will eventually die off if we keep chickens out of the area for at least a year.  In the meantime, I'll need to keep the other houses mite free.

I wouldn't do that - some conifers (eg Leylandii) will burn even when completely green!!!
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
Don't worry Sutty, we wouldn't do that. The trees are a big feature in the garden. They would almost certainly go up in flames and they are surrounded by other mature trees and too close to a neighbours boundary Smile