Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back again ..... true chickoholic
Hello there - it's been at least 18mths since I posted - apologies but I had to give up this forum as I needed to concentrate on the start up of my small business (rare breed pork) and you all know how addictive PC is Confusedcared:  I never gave up my chooks - in fact we ended up with 20 more battery hens for my lad (who is now 8 and a bird mad as ever), 30 off meat birds and the my breeding flock of beautiful croads.  A lot of work in the snow - the ice was worse.  We lost the land we had, so now we are back down to our home crew.  I had to sell my herd, my croads and someone kindly rehomed some of the battery hens (although I did give him some cracking new pullets) and we got down to 3 hens and a cockerel plus the quail.  I was on the verge of throwing the towel in and putting the inci on sale but sensible Mr M stopped me.

6 months down the line and we find that my lad is allergic to feathers (along with dust mite... what a drag) so we have had to put our cockatiels and budgies in an aviary outside.  In the process of doing this we have to knock down the play house and level some raised beds.  We then up positioning the aviary somewhere else (it's a good idea maybe to think about these things before you get started laugh but I then found myself, ahem........suddenly........with loads more garden space *cheer*

I'm back in the game!!!!  I have missed it all terribly - and giving up my stunning black Croads was very upsetting - absolutely awful. My only consolation was that they went to someone who is crazy mad about them - they travelled all the way from south west Wales to Suffolk to collect.

Anyway - we had a successful hatch this weekend and now have 13 Jumbo and Jumbo x quail, and there are 6 Wyandottes and 6 Orp eggs from our friends in Argyll sitting in the inci now.

My tiny nankin bantam is still alive - now 6 yrs old as is our welbar and a 2 yr old hybrid meat bird that is laying!  (she got named so never made it to the kitchen).   We also have a feisty amazing light sussex pullet (super markings) that was the only one to hatch under a broody last summer (wasn't the weather awful?? .... so much moisture in the air it messed everything up).

Anyway, hello again to everyone.  Sorry for not being around, we've had a real rollercoaster ride but we are on the up again.   I've realised I am stupidly addicted to poultry - the excitement that both I (and my son) felt when we realised we could have more again was just bonkers!

Hope you are all well and as insane as ever. I look forward to reading and posting....

Cheerio for now Jackie

Welcome back we have missed you  Confusedmile: it sounds like you have had a busy and hectic time. It is good to hear that you still have your poultry too.

CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
Welcome back Moola, it is really good to see you here again.
Today is the First Day of the rest of our lives.
How lovely to hear from you again.Ive often wondered how you and MrM and your little boy have been doing.

How are the dogs,was it 3 you had?

Welcome back *cheer*

Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
Hi  Moola, nice to hear from you again :thumbup1:

It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
Moola! I think we met before, if so welcome back from me too... If not I'm the quiet sensible one
ntg

Warwickshire

The view is much better from the naughty step ... Cool
Welcome home  Big Grin

Welcome back! Nice to hear from you.
If they can be taught to hate, they can be taught to love.
Hi Moola. glad you can have more chooks!

This place is like an addiction.

Welcome back
Nice to be back in the fold - hello to you all!

the little creature is back at school on Thurs and I am itching to get my pens and coops laid out. K9 ..I have 3 cockers and 2 labs and planning on pups in the Spring. All trained and working but still living in. Have you ever heard about Julia Donaldson ? she writes these amazing stories for kids and one of them is about a kitchen that becomes stuffed with various animals, a real squash and a squeeze! That's mine too.....drives me nuts but can't imagine it any other way. You know the score!
Quote:Nice to be back in the fold - hello to you all!

the little creature is back at school on Thurs and I am itching to get my pens and coops laid out. K9 ..I have 3 cockers and 2 labs and planning on pups in the Spring. All trained and working but still living in. Have you ever heard about Julia Donaldson ? she writes these amazing stories for kids and one of them is about a kitchen that becomes stuffed with various animals, a real squash and a squeeze! That's mine too.....drives me nuts but can't imagine it any other way. You know the score!
5 dogs now!! we are now down to 2 Bernese but the Patterdales have increased to 4.Gypsy was joined by Tanner and they had pups last year and we kept Ruby and Teddie.

Yes, i know the score :k9:  :dogrun  :dancin
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
Welcom back Jackie,lovely to hear from you and looking forward to more tales from your minagery!!

Hi Moola, a huge wave from me, I've been away for a while too Smile

SilkieSue..lovely to hear from you too. *cheer*